SCK•CEN is developing the design of the multi-purpose irradiation facility MYRRHA, a flexible fast spectrum research infrastructure conceived as an Accelerator Driven System (ADS). It consists of a proton linear accelerator (linac) of 600 MeV, a spallation target and a multiplying core with nuclear fuel, cooled by liquid lead-bismuth. According to the MYRRHA implementation plan, a 100 MeV linac will be constructed first. In a second stage it will be upgraded to 600 MeV and later connected to the MYRRHA reactor. Within the MYRRHA Phase 1, the main objectives are the design, construction, commissioning, operation of the 100 MeV proton linac coupled to a target facility with applications in fundamental research, in the production of medical radioisotopes and in material research for fusion.
The Accelerator team is responsible for the design, construction and commissioning of the 100 MeV superconducting linac, in close collaboration with several national and international research institutes and industrial partners.
Part of the team is located at the Cyclotron Resource Centre (CRC/UCL) in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, and currently prototyping (installing and progressively commissioning) the injector part of the linac up to 5.9 MeV. The other part of the team will be located at the SCK•CEN site in Mol, Belgium, where it will cover the needs of the full 100 MeV accelerator in its final buildings: integration, installation, tests, commissioning. Therefore it will operate in very close collaboration with the prototyping team in Louvain-la-Neuve and with the teams of Balance of Plant and Proton Target Facility, both installed at Mol.
The selected candidate will be based at SCK•CEN Mol.
As a Project Manager for the 100 MeV superconducting linac you will be responsible for the implementation and the management of the 100 MeV accelerator project from the engineering design via the construction phase at the SCK•CEN site to the full commissioning. You will very closely collaborate with the Accelerator System Engineer. In this function you will:
- manage all the operational aspects arising from preparing the construction phase of the MYRRHA accelerator facility and ensure that the 100 MeV linac requirements/targets are met;
- coordinate the technical contributions of the involved national and international partners (both from research and from industry);
- strongly participate in the creation and maintenance of the formal framework to be set up for the industrialisation of the 100 MeV linac;
- define and structure the activities and tasks, prepare to allocate them amongst the ADT members (or possibly outside ADT), monitor the execution of the tasks within time and budget;
- maintain the scope of supply and manage the related scope variations;
- manage and monitor the project's time schedule, its budget and its risks;
- lead the interactions with the teams dedicated to the buildings and conventional facilities (BOP) and to the target station (PTF);
- ensure that the 100 MeV linac safety requirements are met;
- manage the commercial and technical contacts with the partners and the suppliers, take care of the follow-up, define actions when appropriate;
- ensure regular reporting of the overall progress of the ADT sub-Unit activities;
- build and/or reinforce relationships with adequate industrial and research partners in the accelerator community.