According to the MYRRHA implementation plan, a 100 MeV linear accelerator will be constructed first and shall be upgraded to a 600 MeV accelerator connected to the MYRRHA reactor in a later phase.
In this first phase (MINERVA Project), the 100 MeV linear proton accelerator will be coupled to a proton target facility (PTF) for the production of (medical) radioisotopes and ISOL-applications. The buildings and all auxiliary systems required to operate such facility, the so-called Balance of Plant (BOP), will be constructed at SCK•CEN site in Mol.
In this framework, we are currently seeking a professional Technical Writer to join this expanding team who will also take care of the document management activities as a Technical Writer, (m/f) for the ADT group (Accelerator Project) in the Advanced Nuclear Systems (ANS) Institute.
The successful applicant will be responsible for creating technical documents and manuals, explain complex information in a clear and concise manner and working with scientific staff to ensure accuracy of product descriptions; and will be in charge of the management of documents produced by himself or contributors.
If you have similar previous experience in the sciences industry, we encourage you to submit an application.
This position is initially located in Louvain-la-Neuve (until 2024).
As the Technical Writer you will have the following main responsibilities within the Accelerator Group:
• Update and maintain the Accelerator Technical Design Report (TDR). This document is a detailed description of the accelerator’s design as well as the facility in which it will be installed and operated.
• Update and maintain large documents on the basis of pieces of existing documentation and/or information to collect.
• The drafting of new technical documents, such as operating instructions (necessary for the approval of security), user manual, maintenance manual, assembly procedures, system description, …
• Produce other requested documents within applicable standards and in line with their intended use.
• Maintain a comprehensive library of technical terminology and documentation;
• Occasionally prepare ADT meeting reports.
• Prepare scientific abstracts together with the ADT colleagues.
• Manage updates and revisions to technical literature.
• Work with the accelerator team and the involved external partners in order to obtain an in-depth understanding of the equipment and the documents to be produced using existing and potential content.
• Ensure the document management of the ADT Department, following the general SCK•CEN rules, manage the incoming and outgoing documents from ADT Department to scientific partners and service providers, and store those documents where appropriate;
• Management of an autonomous document system that is part of the accelerator control system
• Follow-up the document flow related to the whole MINERVA programme, which are relevant to ADT Department;
• Follow-up on authorisations over document processing, reproduction, distribution, storage, or archiving;
• Master degree with a scientific focus and appropriate experience;
• Extensive experience in technical writing for high tech equipment (for particle accelerators is a plus), preferably within a scientific environment.
• Strong working knowledge of Adobe FrameMaker and/or LaTeX, and of adequate graphics tools.
• Practical experience with a document management system is required.
• Ability to quickly grasp complex technical information and translate it into a clear and understandable document.
• Able to generate procedures and explanatory documents for multiple audiences
• Strong attention to detail.
• Autonomous, resistant to stress, punctual, precise and well organised.
• Skilled at prioritization and multi-tasking.
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook);
• Given the international and scientific environment, you have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, particularly UK English. A good knowledge (spoken and written) of French and/or Dutch is an advantage.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• The standard working place will be Louvain-la-Neuve. Travel up to 10% may be requested.