SCK•CEN’s library is aiming for:
- in accordance with our statuses, centralising, processing, handing out information on nuclear energy and making it available to the public;
- supporting researchers in need of information by looking information up, managing it and archiving it;
- promoting innovation by sharing information, fostering exchange of ideas and practices and offering a quiet workplace to read and study.
As documentalist you are responsible for:
- managing, developing and keeping the science collection of the library up to date by focusing on the themes associated with nuclear energy via the library database - Brocade:
- managing the collection of journals and magazines as well as standing orders and standards;
- proactively investigating the users’ needs, checking the efficiency of current subscriptions, putting forward proposals of measures to terminate, change, organize and put online e-journals, managing magazines via interfaces such as Ebsco A à Z, Ebsconet, Linksource, My NBN – implementing and managing technical aspects linked to these platforms;
- managing orders: requests for documents/quotation and negotiations with suppliers in order to get the best prices and terms, following up/checking deliveries;
- managing and following up the budget to ensure continuity and proper functioning of the library, checking and approving invoices, assessing the necessity and opportunity of purchases and renewals, negotiating and managing the important yearly contracts, drawing up purchase orders and annual orders;
- resuming the further digitalisation of the collection and archives of the library;
- keeping researchers informed of new purchases and new available resources – organising info sessions on how they work.
- centralising and managing memberships and acting as contact person for SCK•CEN;
- providing documents and information to the library users (internal, external);
- following closely and critically how the information world and the library evolve: taking into account the identified needs, looking for creative and efficient solutions for the final users, setting up and maintaining contact with organisations and external suppliers and drawing up procedures and guides on the subject;
- providing a quality service to final users: answering questions, leading various research activities;
- fostering and organising exchange of knowledge on specific themes associated with SCK•CEN’s research fields or in the information field;
- participating in the creation of a thesaurus for indexing of information.